If there is any film category at this year’s Golden Globes where money is safe picking the upset, it is Best Original Song. This category has a lot of musical talent behind it—Justin Timberlake, Danger Mouse and Iggy Pop, Stevie Wonder, Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Best Original Song award nominees usually run the gamut, with songs that break into mainstream radio play, songs that are featured in musicals, and songs that supplement animated films. This year is no different. Let’s take a look at who could win this year.
Best Original Song
- Gold – “Gold” – Danger Mouse, Stephen Gaghan, Daniel Pemberton, Iggy Pop
- La La Land – “City of Stars” – Justin Hurwitz, Benj Pasek, Justin Paul
- Moana – “How Far I’ll Go” – Lin-Manuel Miranda
- Sing – “Faith” – Ryan Tedder, Stevie Wonder, Francis Farewell Starlite
- Trolls – “Can’t Stop the Feeling” – Justin Timberlake, Max Martin, Shellback
Will Win: La La Land
Could Win: Moana
Dark Horse: Trolls
La La Land is the film of the hour this year. Being a musical, “City of Stars” is the favorite in this race. This said, the star power of Lin-Manuel Miranda could launch Disney’s latest into the winner’s circle. The film’s music is genuinely good. If anyone were to dethrone La La Land, it would be that.
As always, thanks for reading!
Like CineFiles on Facebook for more updates on the 2017 awards season.
—Alex Brannan (@TheAlexBrannan)